Saturday, February 21, 2015

End of February

Hello Dear Ones,

Everything is relative.  We have been enjoying the winter here in Seattle, rain and all, because we compare it to Utah snow where we would have been this winter and of course the extreme weather on the other side of the country.  Also, it has brought back the sounds and smells of my youth in Bremerton, making it all the more sweet.

I understand better the whole food thing in working with YSAs.  A CES missionary should be aware that food prep is involved, but the great thing that comes out of it is that it shows them you care.  My daughter Becky reminded me of that as she contributed to the recipe book that my girls put together for me.

We have inserted an unexpected goal for our mission:  Reading the Book of Mormon in 90 days, one of the YSA ward challenges.  We have added it to our study time each day.  And I have loved diving into the resource materials and scriptures for our teaching.  Every time I teach I am grateful for the foundation of truth from previous decades that has prepared me for this time.

We have made progress on the name remembering this week again of our 2 wards and of the Institute kids that do not attend a YSA ward.  Our supervisor told us that these kids don't like any word better than their name.  Truly the Lord has helped us in this goal,

These kids are so great.  It is just so joyful to be with them. Our two classes at Bellevue College are very different, one with older kids and even an RM or two and the second has mostly "high school" kids attending college and on the "Running Start" program, getting college credit for both school and "religion class" at BYU or BYUI.  Our grandson did that at Salt Lake Community College, so we were somewhat familiar with the program. 

We are trying to attend all the 2 wards' activities, including ward temple night or assignments.  We have been given contact lists for "at risk" members and have so enjoyed the visiting that comes with those.  I thought I would step back and let Elder Heath take the lead but my "confidence has waxed strong in the presence of God" (D&C 121) as we approach these youth.

Elder Heath and I have become a good "team" in teaching.  We weren't sure how that would work out but we both love teaching these kids so much and splitting the time is a good model for us and for the kids.  Elder Heath had a chance to teach 70 kids this last Tuesday in the night Institute.  Several told him after that they felt the Spirit as he taught, so the Lord has truly sustained us in this calling.

I have seen so many beautiful mission blogs but not having schooled myself in formatting, posting pictures, etc. before we came (I am sure if I had done Facebook more, that would have helped) I hope you will accept my "stick man" version.

We love the Lord.  We love the associations of the mission, CES, priesthood leadership, and especially the youth.  We appreciate your support and prayers.  We feel strengthened by them.  We pray every day for Steven and for those who care for him.  We thank God every day for this calling,  The church is true.  God lives.  And Jesus is the Christ.  This I know.  Love to all.  Sister Heath.

No comments:

Post a Comment